Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Page Turning Tuesday: The Glow by Helen Whapshott

20892266What would you do if you saw a ghost? Would you ignore it hoping it would fade away, or would you go up to it and see if it needed your help?

When Thirteen year old Megan Webb discovers she has been gifted with The Glow, so called because it gives off a light, like a candle in a dimly lit room attracting ghosts, spirits, and others who belong to the supernatural and paranormal world, she has to learn to come to terms with seeing the world in a whole new way.
And if this wasn’t enough to deal with during the delicate years between childhood and adolescence, her parents makes the shocking decision to move her away from everything and everyone she knows to live in a creepy hotel inherited by a late aunt.

But it isn’t just the hotel that is creepy, the whole town seems a little odd until she makes friends with a strange boy, a Witch, and a chain-smoking spirit guide who help her adjust. Life couldn’t get any more complicated … could it? (via. Goodreads)


A few months ago, Helen sent me links on Twitter for her new books. I promised her that I would read and review it ASAP, which I did.

I can't lie when I say the book is pretty good coming from a new and upcoming writer. But I also have to admit that reading the story, something felt a little off and it took me some time to ponder over what it was.

It took me up to now to post this due to pondering and dealing with my busy schedule.
But after a while, I finally realized what it was.
One thing that threw me off a little bit was the ever-changing character POVs. I'd strongly suggest that if you're going to change a POV, do it by chapter. I say this because one point that threw me off was when Jack's POV came up and I was there thinking "Who the heck is Jack?" and I had to read a little bit more into the story to realize that Jack was the Uncle who was with Daisy in the beginning of the story.

Another thing was, that the plot was kind of dull. Okay, Megan realizes that she has this gift and slowly, you see so many problems taking place. Sure, these problems gives us a little more of an introduction and a history to these characters, but in what way can these problems tie to Megan?

After that, the book was a pleasure to read, I couldn't put it down, but I guess part of that was because I was reading from the Kindle app for the first time. I'm pretty sure that I bought the UK version, but I had no trouble with it. I actually liked reading a UK book. So I'll most likely buy more.

I give this book three Nerdy Cats. Like I said, it wasn't a bad book. But not every book is perfect and I would be lying if I said that I never comment something on a book that felt a bit off to me. But Helen, you are an amazing writer and just continue writing, practice makes perfect :) I can't wait to read the next book in the series.



No comments:

Post a Comment